Saturday, August 20, 2011


I have been reading blogs for quite sometime now and thought it was bout time to hop on the bandwagon!!  I recently gave birth to my BEAUTIFUL baby girl, Bella Annelyse, on August 9, 2011 and wanted to document this journey we call "life."  So what a better way to start off this blog then with her birth story!!  Enjoy reading.


I was in the laundry room folding baby-to-be's bath towels and washcloths when all of a sudden I had a gushing down my leg and it was uncontrollable to stop.  My first thought was "oh GREAT" now I can no longer hold my urine!!  I stopped folding and waddled my wet self back into my apartment and straight to the toilet while I continued to leak.  Having completely soaked through many pairs of underwear, pajama shorts, and pads I slowly came around to the realization that what had just occured was my water breaking!!  At that VERY moment my adrenaline had set in and the realization of what was about to come was quite a bit overwhelming on this soon-to-be single mother.

After I thought I got the leaking under control I grabbed my cell phone and dialed the hospital to let them know my water had broken and the doctor on-call was performing a c-section at the time so everyone was busy and the operator just told me to come in and they would check me out.  At this time I was still not noticing any contractions MAYBE just some slight tightening of my uterus.  I was nervous and scared for the health of my baby because I still had three weeks left till my due date and my sister-in-law should be the one in labor, NOT MYSELF!

I had things set out for baby and myself BUT nothing was packed and ready to go.  So I grabbed my packing list from my planner and got busy packing multiple bags for the hospital...never a bad thing to be overly prepared, right?  :0) During this time we were having a treacherous downpour and I had to still take my Moka Jo out potty because I did not know what time my mother would be back to my apartment to get him and I also wanted to take out the trash and finish folding the laundry from the dryer.  My nesting was in full force and I wanted to make sure my home was in good shape to bring a baby home.


Out of nowhere my contractions set-in full force and I knew I needed to finally head to the hospital.  I gathered my bags and trash and set it all in the hallway already knowing that Moka Jo would be upset that once again I am leaving him home alone.  At this time my contractions were around five minutes apart so my first trip down the back stairs I took the trash out and made it back upstairs in time to wade through another contraction before I started bringing my overnight bags to the car.  Once settled into the car I took deep breaths trying to remain calm and focused and made the short drive to the emergency room parking lot making a short pit stop to the gas station to fuel up because my tank was nearing empty.

10:30 PM

Once I was admitted I opted to walk to my birthing room because my contractions were still manageable.  Upon entering the room I was instructed to change into the not so flattering open-back gown, enormous disposable underpants, and life size pads that still put a smile on my face just thinking about it!!

Once I was laying on the birthing bed the nurse started hooking up the monitors to check both of our heart rates and such, [from here on things started moving very rapidly and my memory is a bit fuzzy so bear with me because you will soon understand the complications that came with my delivery of Baby Bella Annelyse] with the blink of an eye I went from one nurse in the room to what seemed like ten!!  They briefly mentioned to me that the baby's heart rate was extremely low when I was contracting and they wanted me on my left side to try and bring it back up as quickly as possible.  When that was no longer working they had me roll over on my forearms and knees with my head rested on the pillow and that seemed to be a bit better but not what they wanted and I could tell in the nurses voice!!  With all of the chaos going on in the room with questions and instructions being thrown at me in what seemed like all directions while being a tangled wrapped up mess in tubing from having to switch positions often plus having a oxygen mask on that was being covered by my tears I let my emotions get the best of me.  I was ALL alone and could not get ahold of my mother and mostly I was worried about the safety of my baby and this is definitely not how I anticipated my birthing experience to go I might have as well thrown my natural birthing plan out the window at this point!! 

The nurse did a vaginal examination to see if she could feel the baby's cord but because Bella was so low in my pelvis she could not get her fingers up far enough around her head BUT I did find out I was alread 4 cm dilated :0) The nurse mentioned to me they were waiting for Dr. Sypniewski to arrive and see if he could get a better feel of the cord.  He arrived and his examination was extremely painful and unsuccessful and then I heard the dreaded news...he wanted to perform an EMERGENCY C-SECTION!!  The news through me in panic mode and I mentioned that I wanted to consult this information with my mother before any decisions were finalized.  Doctor then very politely interjected and said that we DO NOT have time to wait and we need to have the surgery right away because if I opt to deliver her vaginally she was most likely not going to survive!!  WHAT!?  I needed my mother here now MORE then ever before.  I finally got some logic to call Dave and have him get ahold of mom ASAP.  In the meantime I signed the consent forms for the go ahead of the surgery and immediately they started the preparations.  The scary anticipation that most likely my daughter would be brought into life by midnight settled upon me and all I knew was everything was moving too quickly and I wanted time to stop in its tracks!!  Finally, my mother contacted the hospital and her call was directed to my room and was handed to me while I was in the middle of a contraction so I handed the phone to one of the nurses to explain what was happening and that she needed to head to the hospital right away.  A little relief set in at this point knowing that I would not be alone in the delivery and the one person I wanted to be there for this once of a lifetime experience was going to make it in time to show her love and support.  Something I needed so much of at this time.  The nurses did the best they could with encouraging words and staying optimistic but it is just not the same as having your best friend by your side.

While being transferred to the surgery room they had me drink what seemed to be the most toxic drink of my lifetime and I was told it was to settle the acids in my stomach from what I ate for dinner which was jalapeno bread and tomatoes, BIG MISTAKE ON DELIVERY DAY!  Once being placed upon the surgery table I was introduced to the anesthesiologist who would be performing my epidural for surgery.  In my nervous state I mentioned to him (1.) Please DO NOT paralyze me I need to be able to walk again for work (2.) If my shoulders need to stay relaxed DO NOT administer the needle while I am in a contraction!!  These things he obviously already knew but it gave me some comfort in reminding him out loud.  Once he finished I could slowly feel my lower half descending into a deep sleep and Dr. Sypniewski pinched my abdomen really hard and in several different spots to make sure no pain was felt.  The C-Section then began and my mother still had not arrived I had lost track of time and my hope was starting to dwindle that she would make it in time for Bella's arrival.  I felt intense pressure at all times and periodically it felt as though my ribs were going to be broken.  This intense pressure was due to how low her head was in my pelvis but I continued to stay strong for my baby!

Two blessings occurred almost simultaneously my mother arrived dressed in her best head-to-toe surgical gear as the doctor was lifting my daughter from her home during these past 9 months!!  Even though I could not hold my daughter right away I knew by her near distant cries that she was alive and thriving!!  A moment etched on my heart forever.  My mother came near me to make sure I was okay and we exchanged a few words and then she left my side to go and bring my baby girl over so I could look at her for the first surreal a moment.  While I was being stitched up and waiting to be moved to the recovery room were I would receive my first chance to hold my daughter she was in the other corner of the room passing all her tests with flying colors!  Once settled into the recovery room were I would stay for the next hour or more until I could start feeling my legs again I got to breastfeed Bella, she is a natural, and she also received her first bath!  Tears stream down my face while typing much of this story because nothing can prepare you for the intense emotions you feel for somebody so tiny and fragile.  Very blessed to have a healthy and strong baby girl...a mother's GREATEST gift unlike any other <3

This is where one chapter ends and a new one begins...looking forward to the journey ahead...I love you Bella Annelyse Sugg!

P.S.  I was listening to 'Baby Mine' by Allison Krauss on repeat while typing much of her story.  Listen here its BEAUTIFUL!

P.S.S.  Going to try an update this blog as much as possible with stories and pictures of Baby Bella, of course! :0)  Current knitting projects on my needles, new recipes I try and like...YUM YUM, and any crafty projects I endeavor on...SO PLEASE COME BACK AND VISIT AND FEEL FREE TO LEAVE ME A COMMENT...I WILL BE SURE TO READ THEM ALL!!

No comments:

Post a Comment